Based in Rotherwick, we would like to increase the recycling that goes on in our local area: Hook, Hartley Wintney, Odiham, Sherfield and surrounding villages by giving you the opportunity to recycle many more items.
By sending waste to TerraCycle* we avoid it ending up as litter, in a landfill or incineration facility. Instead, new materials and products will be made with our collected waste, reducing the need to extract new materials from the planet.
This avoided impact is not small; for an average product over 90% of the environmental impact comes from extracting and refining the raw materials from which it is made.
In addition to the environmental benefits we will be rewarded with cash by weight collected to donate to local good causes.
So please sort your clean and dry recyclables, bag them and pop them into one of our purple wheelie bins which you can find here:
- Sherfield on Loddon - Sherfield Village Hall, Reading Road, Sherfield on Loddon, Hook, RG27 0EZ.
- Odiham - Buryfields Infant School, Odiham, RG29 1NE
Please download the full list Recycling Programmes.
Once we have 1kg of each ‘waste stream’ we can send it off to TerraCycle and in return we will receive money to donate to local groups: currently we are supporting the 1st Bramshill Scouts, Whitewater School PTA and Rotherwick Church.
We cannot accept items which can be put into your blue/grey wheelie bin – such :
- Water filter (except Aqua Optima ones)
- baby wipe packets
- Salad/Fruit Bags
- Stretch plastic bags unless it's a bread bag
- Breakfast cereal bags e.g. muesli
- Cat Litter bags
- aerosols, cans OR glass, cardboard/paper or eggs boxes (they go in your council recycling wheelie-bin)
- Peperami or Fridge Raiders packets
- Inhalers (they can be recycled at any pharmacy)
- Coat Hangers
* terracycle.com is working towards Eliminating the Idea of Waste® by making the non-recyclable, recyclable. They do this by offering a range of free programmes that are funded by conscientious consumer brands and manufacturers, as well as purchasable programmes that are funded by eco-conscious consumers to bring circular repurposing solutions to almost all forms of waste.Download the FreeRecycling Programmes
This is a list of items that we accept under the various TerraCycle schemes that we have been accepted onto (VM1-11).
We receive money to donate to our chosen local charities according to the weight of each stream collected.
Items marked with an * are ones we have not been accepted onto as yet (AR12-24), but we pass them on to another local collector (Ali’s Recycling) and she receives the money for her chosen charities.Download the Free Recycling Programmes
Organising and sorting your waste at home, before dropping into a purple bin
Find something that fits a space in the kitchen or somewhere accessible. I always put flattened waste into the bin, it makes the job easier later on.
Cheese packets need a rinse out and dry before collecting together. Once dry, fold and put together into another empty wrapper.
Flattened confectionery and biscuit wrappers need to be sorted separately and squeezed into similar wrapper or bread bag.
Check it's clean then flatten, fold a little and pack neatly into one bag of that type (or a bread bag).
Once everything is sorted into themselves or bread bags place all bags/items into a carrier. Don’t worry about knotting things just place into a purple bin near you.